HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Guide/Overview to tricking

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mbzeld

PostSubject: Guide/Overview to tricking   Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:37 am

This is a general overview of everything that I can think of that I personaly do to help my tricking... not a guide on HOW to trick.

A lot of you will probably already do most of it... but its here remind you and to give you any extra ideas I shall continuously update it with anything I ever think of.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Psychological

- Motivation
Motivation is one of the most important factors in sustaining and increasing your ability. Research has shown that elite athletes are highly motivated individuals not only by the mastery of a skill but the rewards they gain from their efforts. Therefore it would be seen as best that you are motivated by not only seeing your own personal development but also by external rewards such as praise from you friends and beating other tickers. However if you believe your skill level does not meet the demands of a challenge, your motivation is more likely to fall in the face of competition, which is therefore why you need to balance the two motivational categories and believe in yourself and that you can be as good as anyone else.

- Goal Setting
To help keep your mastery motivation high, setting short term goals has been shown to be most effective, for example "I will land 5 out of 10 gainers today, and try and work upto 7 out of 10 gainers by next week." or "I will try get another 5 degrees rotation on my double b-twist attempts next session."

Helping sustain outcome motivation (ego) you need to keep your self-efficacy and confidence levels high, believing in yourself that you can do what ever you want, it just takes time and dedication *Its your life, your the most important person in it*

Combine these two motivational factors for best results, as you may have seen the "Munks Vs. JiayoChris" Race thread, combining task orientation (Working towards a list of new moves and ticking them off as you improve and get them) with ego orientation (competing against a friend: Keep it friendly tho )

- Trick 24/7
Now I don't mean actually trick all day and I'm not sure if this is just me or if everyone does it but I think one of the biggest things that has really helped me is that pretty much from a early age I have been constantly active, imprinting a fundamental subconscious need to be active 24/7. For example just sitting watching tv I'll find my self tensing my stomach, or fidgeting, bouncing my legs etc. When walking somewhere, walk faster, be efficient, don't be lazy, run up the stairs, I think one of the best ones I have is while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil i'll just do some handstands or single handed pops Also I'll usually drift off and just think about tricks... just keep moving all day!!

- Positive Thinking
When you feel like your not gonna be able to trick or a session goes badly, keep those positive thoughts coming! "Fuck me I'm tired and crashed those tricks hard, I'm gonna adapt like a mother fucker and be awesome next session!! " Also doing a good warm up will really help your body wake up, even if you thought u would never be able to trick.

Most importantly always enjoy your tricking!!!

- Social
Trick with friends and get to gatherings as often as you can, not only for social enjoyment but for the competition and to display your ability to everyone else, it really gives you that boost to try harder. However if you dont have anyone, just think that you are tricking to show others later.. "If I got out and practice, next time I see Dave, hes gonna be amazed!!"

- Imagery
This is one of the most widely used psychological tools in sport because of its adaptability. You can use it anytime anywhere anyhow, so just do it all day!! while ur on the bus, during the adverts, in lectures! haha. Just imagining a trick before performing can increase you ability to perform it, theres many theories of why which I wont go into but focus on different aspect of the trick at a time (e.g. kicking your back leg up hard on a b-twist), going through it in your head really trying to really FEEL what it would feel like, when u get good, while imagining, you should find you twitch or start tensing your muscles as if you where actually doing the trick. Also try thinking of it in 1st person and 3rd to get a even better overview of the trick.

- Video Analysis
I'm pretty sure we all do this but to make things clear... watch your videos and clips over and over! really look at what you are doing and assess what you are doing right or wrong and think of things to improve on your technique. Look carefully at how high you are at take off, the amount of effort you put into wrapping or tucking etc.

- Reference Your Technique
Watch other people, 'the pros'. Look at their technique over and over, and pin point each and every aspect that makes theirs better in any way, compare it to yours then try and adapt their technique to yours. However don't completely copy, one persons technique is never going to be exactly the same as someone else's, take a couple of differences at a time and adapt your own technique, experimenting with different ideas until you get it right! (Usually I find that your basic technique of a trick, if you can't land it, only needs one or two small tweaks and a bunch of determination to get it right.)

2. Physiological

- Warm up
Warming up can be the difference between you crashing out early and the best session you've ever had. Get your heart rate up and those pours pumping! dynamic stretching if you want with some simple kicks, static stretching at this point is a waste of time.

- Overload principle
This is basically the fact that the body will adapt to any stresser place upon it, so you need to keep your intensity of tricking high, e.g. going for those tricks you haven't quite got yet, MAKE YOUR BODY ADAPT TO BE ABLE TO DO A TRIPLE CORK!

- Time to trick
I've always felt that I've always tricked better at night, or late afternoon. I'm actually doing a real research study of this for my dissertation so I will add to this in a few months.

- Recovery
Always leave enough time to recover from your sessions, let your body figure out what the hell you've just done, and make physiological changes to your muscles etc. to be able to cope better with it next time. Even on a micro scale, sit down and relax during sessions, don't trick till you burnout, a couple of minutes rest can make all the difference.

I find that a good session needs a day rest, but if you went into overdrive and are feeling it hard, then you can take another day. Although don't think that taking a week or even a month or 2 will greatly negatively affect your tricking level. I usually go for months without tricking (usually through winter) and come back better than I was before!

A normal session for me would be just going out and casually doing some tricks, sitting down for a bit, thinking of things to try and then go and try them. For a intense session, I would probably be at a gathering so it would be going quite hard for 2-4 hours. The intensity you trick at is very much a personal and objective factor... if you feel like you can keep going, keep going!! but I would recommend stopping if your performance starts to decrease too much or your start getting frustrated because you cant land anything.

Stretch
After your session, get those muscles stretched out, static stretches are best here. They will help to counteract the contraction and tightening of the muscles and keep you feeling nimble.

Hot bath
I dont know about you but I love a hot bad a couple of hours after a good session, helps get the blood flowing to those muscles to get them repaired!

Massage
Massage your muscles, good time to do it is in the bath. Use deep tissue massage.. basically you are realigning all your muscle fibers in your muscle, so rub in the direction your muscle contracts. It also helps to manually get the blood into all the knucks and crannies.

The way I massage is just pushing hard on your muscle and rub down the muscle, e.g. for your quads, start near your crotch and press hard and rub down to you knee... also just manipulating your muscles when they are tense, especially where you can feel the aching.

- Variation
Keep your tricking ideas and practice varied. There are studies that show that variation of practice allows greater understanding and adaption to a skill. Try tricks in different ways, slow the twist down, speed it up, delay the flip, use your arms less, use your legs more etc.etc.etc. Keep your tricks varied too, try one trick a few times then move onto something else and don't come back to it until your next session.

3. Nutrition
From what I know (Not a great deal about nutrition) heres what I do...

* Drink plenty of water before and during your tricking

* Drink a sugary drink straight after your session. (E.g. Lucazade)

* Eat something high in carbs the day before your tricking, (E.g. SpagBol my favorite)

* Sweets/caffeine/ibuprofen about 30mins before a session.

* Keep your protein intake high so that your body has the resources to build up and repair your muscles after a session.

- Creatine
I have used creatine properly once, I did the week of loading but used 5 doses of 5mg a day, then 2 doses of 5mg a day thereafter with a pint of water. I did find it did help my tricking because after a good session I wouldn't ache at all the next day... However I encountered a vast increase in muscle fatigue when going all out! and especially while in the loading period, really bad muscle crap.
For example say if i ran upstairs, my muscles would quickly start to cease up get that feeling like when lactate acid is at its max, and maybe just sat watching tv, my toes would contract uncontrollably or my thighs would and be really painful si I'd have to sit and stretch for a few minutes to make it go away.

Then i decided to stop and use it just occasionally whenever I thought I needed it but i wouldn't recommend it as I didn't really find any difference. I have just finished another loading week and have felt the muscle fatigue affects already... I'm not quite sure why this is or what it means (most probably lack of water intake), like just walking uphill fatigues my calfs so bad! (Have read research that creatine can be associated with severe muscle crap)... So really for hobby like tricking I wouldn't recommend creatine, but for serious or high volumes of tricking (Where you regularly want to trick but can't coz you still ache from your last session) or weights training I'd recommend using creatine consistently not occasionally and make sure u keep your water intake high! Also with creatine 'Less is More' as there is only a certain amount of creatine you can take in, so taking more than 4x5mg a day will have very little increase in its effectiveness *Any suggestions on why I get ultra muscle fatigue would be appreciated*

- Protein
I have never used any supplements apart from creatine and don't really intend to, I feel that eating fresh meat is not only adequate but fucking lush!! Rare Fillet Stakes! You can't beat it! (from munnks TT)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brooke Whatnall

PostSubject: Re: Guide/Overview to tricking   Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:49 am

Great Post + Lots of information = Sticky!!!

"Your only going to be as fast as your slowest technique"
Blane

http://www.sportsnap.com.au/parkour for all my PK shots
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sportsnap.com.au

Guide/Overview to tricking
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1